Setting up Windows
- Emacs: need to use weird trick so that opening from task bar doesn't leave the blank console open; magit doesn't work so I gave up and am using git bash
- neovim: still haven't figured out how to change the home dir. I've just been using vim via git bash for now.
- git bash: .minttyrc for colorscheme (I wish the UI explained this rather than just sending you to some random website; also the "data:" url on that site didn't work on firefox). had to right click on taskbar icon, then right click again and go to properties and add the --cd-to-home flag for it to open the terminal in the home dir.
- Anki: getting the v2.1 scheduler thing nagging me every time I open it.
- for running linux-only programs like newsboat, I've been using vmware player after trying that and virtualbox (couldn't easily screen resolution, and didn't see any advantages) and hyper-v (cursor was laggy and I supposedly need to install via the pre-approved Ubuntu versions to get it to not lag).
not sure how much effort I should spend on documenting the setup since I suspect by the time I need to do this again, the steps will have changed.